Saturday, December 15, 2012

Custom Leopard Print Bulletin Board


Custom Leopard Print Bulletin Board

I had never thought of this until a friend asked me to paint a bulletin board to match her niece’s new comforter set.  I told her to send me a picture of the comforter and I would see what I could do.  I enjoyed doing this project and thought it would be something I could do for anyone that had a desire for a customized bulletin board.

This is the picture she sent me.
 

When I saw it I thought, Wow! That’s a lot of business.  But I assured her I could do it.  So I set to customizing a bulletin board to match this cute comforter.

I painted the rainbow colors onto the board.  I used metallic acrylic paints.  I just swooshed (if that’s a technique) the paints across the board.
 

The colors turned out beautiful!  Good so far!  Now to start the leopard print.  I didn’t exactly know how to draw a leopard print, so to the internet I went.  Finally, I just blew up the picture my friend had sent me and printed it.  I used clear plastic to make a template by tracing the leopard spots.  Then I traced around each print onto the board.  (Yes.  I traced each and every single leopard spot)
 
If you look closely, you can see my small plastic leopard spots.  I randomly moved them around and traced.  After they were traced, I filled in with black acrylic paint.
 

She wanted “I’m A Star” on the board.  I did the lettering in black.  As you can see, the more spots I painted the more camouflaged the lettering appeared.  Hmm.  What to do.  Since I had used metallic paints, I thought to do the lettering in silver metallic. 
 

Voila!  I’m A Star customized bulletin board is complete!  I really did enjoy doing this and would definitely consider more in the future.  It would be fun to paint a zebra stripe. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

Denise & Susie
Linking up with:
       


       

          Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
 The Shabby Nest     <br><br><br><b>Join us every Friday...</b>    Thirty Handmade Days
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Very creative! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday - Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was so much fun to do. I can't wait for someone else to order (fingers crossed for zebra print).

    ReplyDelete